With a road map and a rental car you can see it all, a little at a time!
Full days exploring by car:
Circumnavigate Puerto Rico starting east from San Juan.
1. El Yunque rainforest. Luquillo Beach... a full day to see both and go back to San Juan.
2. Seven Seas beach, biobay trip by kayak.
3. Cordillera Islands including Icacos.
4. Petroglyphs and the south side of the rainforest, Humacao Nature Reserve.
5. The south east tip of Puerto Rico. Punta Tuna lighthouse and Maunabo.
6. Guayama and a trip up road # 15 to Jajome Terrace for lunch or early dinner.( open Thurs through Sunday only).
7. The mangrove islands of Salinas ( not easy to get to them, no regular trips)
8. The Coamo Hot Springs. and Ponce. ( Side trip up to Adjuntas or Jayuya )
9. Gilligans Island off Guanica. The dry forest is interesting to walk on winter, coo,l days only.
10. The Cabo Rojo lighthouse and salt flats and beaches. ( Side trip up to Maricao Forest)
11. Heading up the west coast to Rincon, Rincon. Crash boats.
12. starting east on the north coast. Isabella and the beaches just west of Isavella.
13. Arecibo area. The caves ( call first to be sure) and the Radio telescope.
14. Mar Chiquits, Tortuguero Lagoon, back to San Juan.
the lush El Yunque mountain rainforest
to the dry hot Guanica forest only takes two hours
on a scenic highway! The highest mountain peak is in the Toro Negro Forest Reserve,
the road is lined with giant Eucalyptus trees. ..and clouds! Drive
on the cliffs above the sea, between Yabucoa and Maunabo. Stop
for lunch or dinner at the delicious seafood Bella Vista restaurant
with the finest view of the ocean in PR. The winding roads through
the mogote valleys in karst country make you wonder if you're